What We Believe
To invite, inspire, and ignite all who will come to Christ by holding fast to our core beliefs and by building up the body of believers in reliance on the Word of God and His Holy Spirit.
Is to be salt and light in our community and in the world by sharing the Good News of salvation in Christ and by reaching out to help in His Name (Matthew 5:13-14).
- God is the Creator and sustainer of the universe and everything within it (John 1:3). God is truth (Psalm 33:4) - in Him is all authority and power. God is a Trinity - God the Father, God the Son - Christ Jesus, and God the Holy Spirit (John 14:16-17). Humankind is the creation of God. We were in perfect communion with God at the time of creation, but became separated from Him through sin. As a result, all of creation now suffers in a degenerate state. On our own we are helpless to remedy this condition.
- Jesus Christ is the Son. He came to earth in human form to redeem humankind from the consequences of sin through His death on the cross and resurrection. Through Him and Him alone we have salvation - a new righteousness renewing our relationship with God, and a guarantee of eternal life with God. This salvation is for all who truly believe (John 14:6).
- The Holy Spirit is God's presence within each person who has placed their faith and trust in God through Jesus Christ (John 14:16-17,26). He leads us individually and as a church body to all truth.
- The Bible is God's Word to us, His creation. Although written by human hands, it is inspired by God and inerrant in content. The Bible reveals God's character to us and is relevant for every generation (2 Timothy 3:16).
- Prayer is our means of communing with God. Jesus teaches us that prayer is our opportunity to thank God for His great love and grace and to bring our petitions before Him (1 John 5:14-15). It is essential for growing in a relationship with Him and as natural to us as our next breath.
- The Church is the product of God's grace, a universal body of believers. It exists to gather believers together for worship, support, fellowship, nurture, and to proclaim the good news that through faith in Jesus Christ abundant and eternal life is sure (1 Corinthians 12:12-14).
- Marriage is given to us by God for the joining of one man and one woman, as God has created them, and intended as a lifelong union (Genesis 1-2, Matthew 19:4-6). By God’s design, sexual relations are confined to this relationship (Matthew 5:28, Romans 1:26-29).
We live out our faith in accordance with these core beliefs and take to heart this statement from the Westminster Shorter Catechism: "The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever."
Final Authority for Matters of Belief and Conduct
The statement of faith does not exhaust the extent of our beliefs. The Bible itself, as the inspired and infallible Word of God that speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality, and the proper conduct of mankind, is the sole and final source of all that we believe. For purposes of Rose Hill Church’s faith, doctrine, practice, policy, and discipline, our Session (Board of Elders) is our final interpretive authority on the Bible’s meaning and application.